We have all been gifted some time to dream sweet adventure dreams and plan for the next big trip, assuming the world doesn’t erupt into a fiery deathcano in the next few weeks, thanks to COVID-19. Here are a few helpful ideas to help you navigate through the Coronapocalypse…
- Follow all WHO and CDC Guidelines regarding the COVID-19 virus. This is a good starting point. Better to be safe than sorry.
- Drivetrain Cleaning Time! It seems like no matter how often it happens or how thorough you think you have cleaned your drivetrain, there is always some more grime hiding in there somewhere. Check to see if you need new cables, or if your rear derailleur jockey wheels are in need of service or replacement, pull apart and clean your cassette, put some fresh grease upon all the greasy spots. Time to lean, Time to clean (your bike).
- Rig Picture Time! Unpack your entire dirtbagging rig, lay it out, and take one of those “here’s all my stuff I take on trips” pictures. I’ve always meant to do so, might be time for that.
- Gear Inspection & Cleaning Time! While you have your entire bike unpacked it’s a perfect time to inspect everything and see what needs to be cleaned, serviced, or replaced.
- Gear Prioritizing Time! What has been hiding out for years in your bags that has never seen one use? Do you need it? Could that space be better used for something else?
- New Gear Time! Have you always wanted some custom bags made? Now is probably a great time to start talking to one of the many bike bag makers out there about some custom jobs. I’m certain they would welcome the work, times are tough all over.
- Trip Planning Time! We all dream about the next adventure, start putting it on paper. Selecting actual dates may be a little difficult at this time, but you can still look up routes or use an app like ridewithgps to make your own (or link a few together).
- Start A Blog! No, really. You should have your own personal blog site in which to keep a record of your dirtbagging adventures, and to share with your friends. Don’t worry about followers or analytics or anything like that, just register a free blog site at WordPress or Blogger or something similar and start writing the story of your travels.
- Help Out Your LBS Time! Get ahold of your LBS, many are doing curbside pick up sales and maintenance. Now is the time to send your bike off to the shop for some TLC if you don’t feel like tearing everything apart your own damn self. 2020 Pro Tip: you can now tip your mechanics in beer OR toilet paper. They are equal in value.
- Be Safe Time! Most of all, please be safe and considerate of others in this contentious time.
There you have it, a few helpful ideas to help you pass the time. More on some of these too, I’m being summoned to go hike some rocks or something.